Clarke Chair in Black/Williams
Distinguished by the wheat-sheaf arrangement of the back spindles, our Clarke Chair evokes imagery of pre-industrial agriculture. A deeply historical symbol of fertility and abundance, cut wheat stems were tied together in sheaves in order to protect the seed heads in preparation for threshing. A solid and comfortable chair for the kitchen or dining room, both the frame and gently dished seat are made from solid birch. The silhouette is softened by turned posts, bent back-posts and the gentle, repeated curves in the rails and back-spindles. Shown here in combination Antique Black with Williams Pine. History referenced, and a subtle nod to good fortune and abundance in your life.
- • Overall: 19½" wide x 23" deep x 42" tall
- • Seat platter: 19" wide x 17½" deep
- • Seat height: 18"
- • Colour: Antique Black frame, Williams Pine seat
- • Process: Painted frame, Stained seat
- • Treatment: Hand Sanded
- • Custom finishes available
- • Bench-made, solid birch frames and seats
- • Gently dished seat platters
- Prince Edward Collection
- Our Prince Edward Collection is named in the spirit of independence, optimism and resilience. It’s not easy to leave hearth and home. Settlers in the British North American colonies sacrificed much. Following the American Revolution, some settlers remained loyal to the British Empire. No longer welcome in the United States, Loyalists, as they came to be known, left home once more and settled on land granted them by the Crown. Many Loyalists settled along the shores of Lake Ontario, including Prince Edward County. Having fled to the north, the Loyalists set about rebuilding their lives. Most brought no furniture. The furniture they made was inspired by the furniture they had back home; in the United States and even England. It was pared down; simplified by a demanding agricultural life in a spectacular wilderness. It was solid, practical and for its time, austere.
Solid Birch Construction
Our Clarke Chair is made entirely from solid birch, including the gently dished seat. Birch is a hardwood with a mottled and somewhat unevenly dense grain. The result is an incredibly durable seat (think back-pocket buttons or denim rivets) and a beautifully figured finish. A mark of craftsmanship and a sign of comfort, a dished chair seat provides a full measure of additional design refinement.
Available as an Arm Chair
Commonly placed at the ends of the table, an arm chair is always a comfortable choice. Support for the arms and shoulders make for a relaxed posture and a sense of destiny; they don't call it a Captain's Chair for nothing.
Available in This Special Grouping
For savings over-and-above sale prices. Our Clarke Chair is offered in this Special Grouping, which includes our Glenora Double Pedestal Extension Table. Select from a range of table sizes and configure your grouping to include six, eight, or ten chairs. Purchase online and we'll deliver (within Ottawa, select pickup during checkout) at no additional charge.